The art fair calendar post-covid might have finally shaken out, so we can start making travel plans that align with our favorite fairs. Here is the 2023-2024 school year art fair calendar.
Bullet points are satellite fairs that are often just as interesting as the main event, so they are worth the trek even if they are in a different neighborhood.
Frieze Seoul | Sep 6-9 | COEX in the Gangnam district of Seoul, South Korea
The Armory Show | Sep 8-10 | Javits Center in the West Side district of New York City, USA
- PHOTOFAIRS New York | Sep 8-10 | Javits Center in the West Side district of New York City, USA
- Independent 20th Century | Sep 8-10 | Cipriani South Street in The Battery district of New York City, USA
- Art on Paper | Sep 7-10 | Pier 36 in the Lower East Side district of New York City, USA
- SPRING/BREAK Art Show NYC | Sep 6-11 | TBA in New York City, USA
Berlin Art Week | Sep 13-17 | 100 participants throughout the city of Berlin, Germany
- Positions | Sep 14-17 | Tempelhof Airport, Hangar 5-6 in the Tempelhof-Schöneberg district of Berlin, Germany
Frieze London | Oct 11-15 | Regent’s Park in the Westminster district of London, England
Futures | Oct 13-15 | Robert Capa Contemporary Photography Center in the Erzsébetváros district of Budapest, Hungary
Paris+ par Art Basel | Oct 20-22 | Grand Palais Éphémère in the 7th arrondissement of Paris, France
Art Photo BCN | Oct 26-29 | Disseny Hub Barcelona (Museum of Design) in Sant Martí district of Barcelona, Spain
IFPDA Print Fair | Oct 26 – 29 | Javits Center in the West Side district of New York City, USA
Artissima | Nov 3-5 | OVAL Lingotto Fiere in the Lingotto district of Turin, Italy
West Bund Art & Design Fair | Nov 9-12 | West Bund Art Center in the Xuhui District of Shanghai, China
The Wrong Bienniale | Nov 1-Mar 1, 2024 | Global and online
Paris Photo | Nov 9-12 | Pavillon de l’Arsenal in the 4th arrondissement of Paris, France
- Offprint Paris | Nov 9-12 | Grand Palais Éphémère in the 7th arrondissement of Paris, France
Art Basel Miami Beach | Dec 8-10 | Miami Beach Convention Center in the South Beach district of Miami, USA
- Photo Basel Miami | Dec 5-10 | Scope Art Fair curated section, 10th Street and Ocean Drive in the South Beach district of Miami, USA
- NADA Miami | Dec 5-9 | Ice Palace Studios in the Art and Entertainment District of Miami, USA
- Untitled Art Fair Miami | Dec 6-10 | 12th Street and Ocean Drive in the South Beach district of Miami, USA
Zona Maco | Feb 7-11 | Centro Citibanamex west of the Polanco district of Mexico City, Mexico
Frieze LA | Febr 29-Mar 3 | Santa Monica Airport in the Santa Monica district of Los Angeles, USA
SPRING/BREAK Art Show LA | TBA | TBA
ARCOmadrid | Mar 6-10 | IFEMA Madrid’s Juan Carlos I park in the Barajas district of Madrid, Spain
FORMAT International Photography Festival | Mar 17 – Apr 9 | 30 participants throughout the city of Derby, United Kingdom
Art Basel Hong Kong | Mar 28-30 | The Hong Kong Convention & Exhibition Centre in the Wan Chai district of Hong Kong, China
Expo Chicago | Apr 11-14 | Navy Pier in the Streeterville district of Chicago, USA
Art Brussels | Apr 25-28 | Brussels Expo in the Heysel/Heizel Plateau in Laeken district of Brussels, Belgium
ARCOlisboa | May 23-26 | Cordoaria Nacional in the Belém district of Lisbon, Portugal
Frieze New York | TBA | New York City, USA
- Volta NY | May 17-21 | Metropolitan Pavilion in the Chelsea district of New York City, USA
- Independent | TBA | Spring Studios in the Tribeca district of New York City, USA
Photo London | May 16-19 | Somerset House in the Covent Garden district of London, UK
Art Basel | Jun 13-16 | Messe Basel in the Kleinbasel district of Basel, Switzerland
Manifesta 15 Barcelona | Sep 8-Nov 24 | Throughout the city of Barcelona, Spain
Tips for Planning Your Art Fair Trip
This is just a tiny sampling of the many art fairs from 2023-2024. With so many great fairs, you’re sure to find one perfect for you.
I’ll update the list as information is released or changes throughout the year.
Here are some additional tips for planning your art fair trip:
- Do your research. Before you book your flights and hotels, take some time to research the fairs you’re interested in. Check out the participating galleries, the exhibition themes, and the schedule of main and satellite events.
- Book your travel early. Art fairs can be popular, so booking your trip early is vital to get the best deals. Pricing tends to skyrocket about a month before.
- Stay in the right place. If you want to be close to the action, stay in a hotel in the neighborhood. Your feet will tire from walking distances equivalent to a sports stadium multiple times over. Traffic is often terrible, and taxis / Ubers become rare. Having your room within walking distance makes a difference.
- Pack for comfort. You’ll be doing a lot of walking at an art fair, so pack comfortable shoes and clothes.
- Have fun! Art fairs are a great way to see new art, meet new people, and learn about the latest trends. So relax, enjoy yourself, and be open to discovering new things.